The Congregation of the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (in short: Siostry Niepokalanki) was founded by Mother Josepha Karska (1823-1860), and by Bl. Mother Marcelina Darowska (1827-1911) with the help of father Hieronim Kajsiewicz (CR) in 1857 in Rome. Mother Marcelina, at a very crucial moment in the history of our country- 1863, moved the congregation to Jazlowiec (now Ukraine). The spiritual aim of the congregation is: seeking God’s glory in all things, love in answer to Love and accepting and fulfilling God's Will.
The mission of the Congregation is to serve the Catholic Church by prayer and the renewal of the nation via the formation of women. Sisters are involved in the upbringing of the next generation of girls. They run kindergartens, primary schools - both for boys and girls and secondary boarding schools for girls; nowadays in Poland there are seven schools run by the sisters. They also teach religion in public schools, organise religious retreats for individuals and groups and help families. The sisters are also committed to missionary work in Ukraine. With particular love they spread the cult of Our Lady. The Congregation possesses two Marian Shrines in Szymanow (about 50 km from the capital city, Warsaw) - the Shrine of Our Lady of Jazlowiec and in Koscierzyna (north Poland) - the Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows (a beautiful 15th-century Pieta, made of sandstone). Both sculptures have received papal crowns.
Jazlowiec (Lvov diocese) used to be the mother house until 1946. Since then it has been in Szymanow, Poland
The Foundress Mother Marcelina Darowska was beatified by Pope John Paul II in Rome in 1996. Two sisters, Martyrs of WWII, s. Marta Wolowska and s. Ewa Noiszewska were beatified in 1999 in Poland.